Do you freak out during transfer of data from old to the new iPhone?
Does the process seem cumbersome and time taking?
Relax! This post shares the easiest methods you can use to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone.
What is the best way to transfer data from old to new iPhone?
You are an iPhone fan. You bought the new iPhone as soon as the latest is out in the market. However, you do not want to part with your old and valuable photos, contacts, music etc., in your previous iPhone.
The best way to transfer everything from the old iPhone to the new iOS device is through Apple’s backup utilities – iCloud and iTunes. Nevertheless, there is another faster and easier way too, i.e., Quick Start in iOS 11.
How to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone?
Always remember, before transferring any data to new iPhone, backup your old iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. When your old iPhone has backup in iTunes or iCloud, you can easily set up a new phone.
Methods to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone:
- Transfer data from iCloud backup
- Transfer from iTunes backup
- Transfer data through Quick Start
Transferfrom iCloud backup
Ensure you have a backup in iCloud. If not, follow the below steps to back up your old iPhone data to iCloud:
- Connect your previous device to the Internet with Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > (your name) > iCloud > iCloud Backup > Turned on iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now.
- Turn-off your old iPhone after the backup process ends.
What you can transfer via iCloud backup?
App data, call history, device settings, home screen and app organization, iMessage, text (SMS), MMS messages, photos and videos on your iPhone, Apple services like your music, movies, TV shows, and apps.
Steps to transfer old iPhone data to the new device using iCloud
- Insert your SIM in the new iPhone.
- Turn on your new iPhone.
- Tap Wi-Fi network and follow the instructions until you see the Apps & Data screen
- Tap Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Sign in to your iCloud account using Apple ID and password.
- Tap Next > Agree>Tap Agree again.
- Choose the recent backup and wait for the restore process to finish.
Transfer data from iTunes backup
First, back up your previous device in iTunes. Next, transfer the data to your new device.
Steps to back up your old iPhone data to iTunes:
- Connect your old iPhone to the computer.
- Open iTunes. Ensure you have the latest iTunes version.
- Select your device.
- Click Backup Now.
- Wait for the process to finish.
Note: To check and confirm if the backup is complete: Go to iTunes Devices Preferences. Under Device Backup your device name, date and time of backup created in iTunes should appear.
What you can transfer via iTunes backup?
Photos, movies, music, videos, contacts, messages, call logs, app data, App Store purchased application data, Keychain, Network settings & preferences (Wi-Fi, hotspots, VPN settings), Memos & Calendar, Bookmark, and Safari history.
Steps to transfer your iTunes backup to the new iPhone
- Turn off your old iPhone.
- Insert SIM card into new iPhone and turn it on.
- Connect your new iPhone to your PC/Mac.
- Tap Wi-Fi network and follow the instructions until you see the Apps & Data screen.
- Select Restore from iTunes backup.
- On iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC, select Restore from this backup. Choose your recent backup from the list.
You cannot see some information after transferring your data to new iPhone from iTunes or iCloud.
Often users complain, they transferred the data from iCloud/ iTunes, but later cannot access it or some of files go missing on the new iPhone. This is probably because that information is lost or deleted from the iCloud or iTunes backup.
In such cases, you need to first recover that data from iCloud or iTunes and then transfer it to the new iPhone.
For this, use a secure iPhone Data Recovery software – Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone. The DIY software restores lost and deleted data from iPhone, iTunes, and iCloud. You can easily recover your contacts, call history, photos, videos, chat messages along with attachments, Notes, App documents, etc. It is helpful as you can choose and restore the specific data that you want rather than recovering everything from the iCloud or iTunes backup.
Transfer data through Quick Start
Is your old iPhone running on iOS 11? If not yet upgrade it to iOS 11 to use Quick Start for data transfer to new phone.
With Quick Start feature in iOS 11, Apple has made data transfer to a new iPhone from the existing iPhone easier. Quick Start discovers your new iOS device and automatically transfers phone settings and preferences.
Before you start:
- Upgrade your old iPhone to iOS 11.
- Insert the new SIM in the new iPhone. In case you will use the same old SIM, take it out of old iPhone and insert it into the new phone.
- Turn on Wi-Fi in the new iPhone.
Follow the below steps to transfer iPhone data using Quick Start:
- Turn on both the iPhones (new iPhone & old iPhone running on iOS 11) and keep them close to each other.
- The Quick Start screen appears on your old iPhone and gives the option ‘Set up New iPhone’ using your Apple ID.
- Tap Continue.
- Wait for your new iPhone to show an animation (a blue ball of particles).
Hold your old iPhone over the new one to capture the animation, using viewfinder.
- Wait for message ‘Finish on New (device name)’ on new iPhone and tap on it.
- Enter your old iPhone passcode on your new phone.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the set up Touch ID/ Face ID on your new iPhone.
- Enter your Apple ID password on your new iPhone.
- You will get backup options – restoring apps, data, and settings from latest iCloud backup or updating your old iPhone’s backup and then restoring. Select the backup option.
- The transfer process begins. Keep both the devices together until the data transfer to the new iPhone completes. All your photos, music, videos, apps, etc., in iCloud are transferred to your new iPhone.
You love your new iPhone, but do not want to part with those photos, music, videos, apps, etc., which you captured or downloaded in your old iPhone. Get on to one of the above methods and transfer the desired data to your new iPhone.
Hope you find this post helpful in transferring data from iPhone to iPhone.
Do share your experience in the comment box below.